5.01.2008

Beepin' at Butts

I really don’t know why people don’t care about how disgusting our surroundings are becoming. Whenever I’m stopped at a red light I look around at the ground and it’s filthy. Beyond filthy. How this stuff gets there I don’t know. I could never throw a Wendy’s cup out of my window when I’m driving, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen something that blatantly criminal done.

However, what I always see is people throwing their cigarette butts out of their window like it’s not a big deal. This infuriates me. It blows my mind that people don’t regard this as littering. That being said, I’ve decided to beep at someone whenever they do this. Since beginning this campaign, I’m very surprised at how often I wind up beeping. I’m also very surprised at how happy this makes me. I feel like such a bastard when I do it and I love it.

It’s awesome to be stopped at a light, see someone chuck their butt onto the ground, and beep my horn. The litterer will look for who beeped thinking it was for a non-existent traffic offense and then realizing, maybe, someone beeped because they threw their cigarette out the window. Even if it makes them think, “Hmm, maybe I’m an asshole” for just a moment then I feel I’ve gained a small victory.

I encourage all of you to become a part of the “Beepin’ at Butts” effort. Please let me know how it goes.

Full Disclosure: I smoked for a year in college, and I don’t dislike someone because they smoke. I understand it’s a personal choice, and it’s hard to quit. That being said, there’s no reason to make this world uglier than it already is. If you don’t care how your car smells from the smoke, the cigarette butt isn’t going to make it that much worse. Throw it out when you get where you’re going.

No comments:

Post a Comment